If you want to shoot better videos of the family with your iPhone or smart phone, employing these few simple tips can make all the difference.
1. Go Horizontal-I see so many people shooting video with their iPhones or smart phones and they are holding the phone in the standard vertical state (the way you would normally talk into a phone). By turning the phone so that you are capturing a wide image (and not a tall image), you are actually capturing a more proper and professional looking image-movies and tv shows are not tall images, they are wide for a reason. Since many phones are shooting in HD at 720p or 1080p you are then really getting the benefit of the look of these images.
2. Use Both Hands-Hold your phone with both hands. This will give you more stability in the shot.
3. Record Early-Start filming your subject(s) before the moment you are actually trying to capture-this will give you what professional video makers call “handles” and can give you some breathing room when editing. Sometimes, you don’t get a choice, you’re just trying to grab the footage you can as it’s happening, but if you have the choice, give yourself that extra second.
4. Move when you need to-Only move the camera or pan when you need to. And, if you do move, pan or tilt as slow and smooth as you can.
5. Edit-Once you have your footage, transfer it to your computer and edit out “the fat”. No one needs to see the 30 seconds it took to see little Suzy get ready to do her dance for the family. Don’t be afraid to keep it brief-less is almost always more.
Hope this helps you to capture more high end video that you and your family can enjoy for years to come.